Ingredients: (2 People)
1 acorn squash
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 garlic clove
Salt & Pepper
5-8 Button Mushrooms
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1/4 White Onion
1 Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes (depends on how much heat you want)
4 slices of Whole Wheat Bread (2 Slices per person)
Chipotle Aioli (Recipe can be found under 12-6)
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Cut acorn squash into 3/4″ pieces. You should come out with four pieces. Place on a cookie tray lined with wax paper. Set aside.
3. In a small, put in the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil along with garlic clove. Cook until the garlic becomes fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic otherwise it will make the squash taste bitter.Once the garlic is cooked, throw in the minced fresh thyme. Let is steep in the garlic oil for about 30 seconds.
4. With a brush, brush on the garlic and thyme oil over each piece of acorn squash . Then sprinkle salt & pepper on top.
5. Once the oven is preheated, put sheet pan with acorn squash pieces into the oven and bake for 20 min.
6. Meanwhile, in a small pot over medium heat, cook the diced onion and red bell pepper until the onion is translucent. Season with red chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Then add in diced mushrooms, cook until mushrooms shrink a bit. Set aside.
7. When the 20 min are up, poke each one with a fork to see if it is cooked. A tip to know the squash is ready is if the fork sinks in easily.
8.Then, take the tray out of the oven. Carefully crack one egg into each hole of the acorn squash. Very carefully return the tray back into the oven and bake the egg for 7-10 minutes. The time will depend on how runny you want your egg. I bake mine for 8 minutes, for a runny egg yolk.
9. While the egg is baking in the oven, toast your bread until crispy. I used a panini maker to toast mine, but a toaster, small oven toaster, or oven does the job as well.
10. Finally, once the eggs are done, you can assemble you plate and enjoy.
Comment below if you try this recipe!