- 2 Slices Whole Wheat Bread (Make sure the bread does not contain corn syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup because we do not want additional sugar into our diet)
- 1/2 Tomato
- Handful Spinach
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil (Substitute: spinach or kale)
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/3 Cup Pine Nuts
- 1/2 Lemon
- Small Sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese (Can also use Daiya Vegan Cheese for Vegan option)
- 1/2 Package of Firm Tofu (Any level of tofu is fine because it is blended either way)
- Salt & Pepper to liking
- Food Processor (Can substitute for a blender)
- Panini Press ( Can cook on stovetop as well)
1. In the food processor add basil, garlic clove, toasted pine nuts (lightly toast pine nuts in a pan over medium heat beforehand), tofu, salt & pepper, cheese, olive oil and lemon juice. Pulse in food processor. Taste to see if it’s seasoned to your liking.
2. Once seasoned to your liking, spread as much pesto as you want onto the bread. I love my grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato and spinach, so I added that along with the pesto.
3.Cook as if you would a grilled cheese or place into panini press on high heat until the bread is crispy golden brown.